Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Salmon, Kabocha and Potatoes LunchBots Bento

It's still pretty cold (around freezing temps at night), but we're taking a break from the thermal soups and stews to get in some omega-3s. I made salmon butteryaki, which is my favorite way to make this fish. I first slice it into portions, then pan-fry in olive oil on all sides, a few minutes, until crispy. At the end, drop a pat of butter down the side of the pan, swirl all around the fish until sizzling. Turn off heat and drizzle with shoyu. Yum! I also cubed some kabocha and fried them in the same pan, then sprinkled them with garlic powder and parmesan. There's also a sprig of steamed broccoli tucked in next to the fish. I oven-baked some potato wedges to go with the fish, tossing in olive oil, garlic powder and dried parsley (p.s. potatoes are delicious with cracked black pepper too!). There are a few house-pickled cucumbers in there as well. Finally, a little fruit section: strawberries, blackberries and blueberries -- finish out this colorful LunchBot Trio for TinySprite.

2 comments:

  1. That salmon looks so delicious! I'll have to try it that way. How long do you cook it in the butter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I add butter just briefly, towards the last minute of cooking or so. You can also cook the fish in butter from the start, but I like using olive oil. It will sizzle and bubble and give a nice buttery flavor. When you add the shoyu (just a little), the combo mixes together and smells great.
      Thanks Becky; hope you enjoy it!

      Delete