Thursday, January 26, 2012

Salmon Butteryaki Bento

Salmon Butteryaki Bento by sherimiya ♥
Salmon Butteryaki Bento, a photo by sherimiya ♥ on Flickr.
I'm trying to make an effort to cook salmon (or some other fish) at least once a week. I managed to squeeze it in this week, when I saw a beautiful wild Alaskan salmon fillet at the market. I prepared a simple butteryaki salmon on the stove, and roasted some sweet potato "fries" in the oven at the same time. There's also steamed Okinawan (purple) sweet potato, steamed broccoli, grape tomatoes, a strawberry, blood oranges and a blackberry. Nothing cute about this one, but it's pleasant-looking enough, largely due to the special "magic" round bento box. I love this box because of the removable sections, and also because a round box has an aesthetically pleasing kind of symmetry about it. There's no up or down, right or left. It's just perfect. Try it -- you'll find the meal somehow manages to look beautiful all by itself.

Butteryaki Salmon

Heat 1 T oil and 1 T butter in pan.
When hot, fry salmon fillets, skin side down, until crispy, a few minutes. Flip and cook a few minutes more.
Just before removing from pan, turn off heat and drizzle 2 tsp shoyu over fish and into pan.
Shake pan to distribute.
Remove and serve!

13 comments:

  1. I agree with you on the boxes - although I prefer square, the round boxes are just as wonderful. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. AikoVenus,
    I have a 4-sectioned square box too, which I also love. If it were just a bit smaller, I think I would love it equally as much as my round one. The great majority of my boxes are rectangular. Practical, yes, but the rare round one touches me somehow. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love round boxes too but haven't found «the one» yet. My sakura box is not perfectly round but already comes close. Love the colours in your bento.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh, I have the sakura box too, and I LOVE the organic shape. Even more than the circle. But it's too big for daily kid use. Very cool and special though. Thanks Ceinwyn :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I drool over your salmon every time I see it! I really need to try your recipe for it. I just realized that I don't have any round bento boxes! Lol! I love how you packed this one, it looks yum-tastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mm, beautiful. We've been trying to fit in fish in our weekly meals as well but no matter how the fish is done, my kid won't eat it! I will add it in her pasta somehow. ;p Do you have a butteryaki recipe somewhere that I can try out Sheri?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You definitely get an "H" for Honors for the way you cook for your children. I think it's wonderful. You should submit some of your recipes to the Food Council for Food in Schools. If more kids ate this way they'd be a lot healthier. Kudos to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Circle shapes are perfect, I enjoy to see the meals when you use the magic round bento ^^!
    Salmon looks so good with those fries! It is my girls´ favorite fish... I should try the butteryaki style but I can be almost sure that butter+shoyu combo is totally yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. cute one

    Aarthi
    http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks a lot OPC, Heather, Chantale, Vicki, karaimame, and Aarthi!

    Chantale, I'll add it in. Pan-fry salmon, skin side down in hot pan until crispy, flip, add butter, then drizzle with shoyu just before done, turn heat off. Simple!

    Vicki, I appreciate your support. I never considered the Food Council for Food in Schools, but I suppose that input from parents is the first step to making big changes. Thank you for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I want to try oven roasted sweet potato fries! It looks delicious. As always very nutritious and colorful bento! I'm a big fan of blood oranges!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nami, do try it! I'll try almost any new technique to see what my kids will think, heh. Me too I love the vibrancy of blood oranges. So happy they're in season now, when there are so few other non-citrus fruit available.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete