Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Hello Kitty Santa Curry Bento

It's time for curry again, with the nighttime temperatures dipping into near-freezing range these past few nights. You'll probably be seeing quite a bit of the thermal bento jars on this site over the next few months. Like last time (see this bento here) I used a ton of vegetables, but I also used ground pork, which made it very substantial. This batch contains onions, celery, carrots, sweet mini peppers, potatoes, and broccoli. I packed (and served it at dinner) over hot brown rice mixed with pearl barley. This combo results in a chewy rice batch that I really like. The little side car contains oranges, grapes, broccoli, Okinawan sweet potato flower shapes, and a little quail egg Hello Kitty santa with a strawberry hat and suit. Aww! ^_^

20 comments:

  1. Okay... I just want to snuggle up with this one. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Diana, Yobodish, Heather, Smita and Yenny ~! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Kitty Santa is so so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super like the Hello Kitty Santa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG... Hello Kitty Santa!!! Using strawberry is such a brilliant idea Sheri!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a awesome idea. Totally cute! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. AWW!!!! Too adorable! I love Kitty's strawberry hat and its body! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Hello Kitty in the Santa hat is the cutest thing ever!! My daughter would be the hit of the school cafeteria if I could pull that off. Would you mind sharing what you used for the whiskers and eyes?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am constantly amazed and inspired by your creativity. What a beautiful HK santa!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just the best Sheri! Your work is fancy without all the makeup and completely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks a lot Bobo, Nami Mokiko, Ꮮуռ , Julie, Natakiya and berrygirl!!
    Julie, the whiskers are ume (plum flavored) somen noodles. They are very thin, and will soften up over time so there is no risk of choking. The eyes are cut from nori and the nose is a little piece of carrot. I'm sure you can make one easily! I hope your daughter loves it as much as mine did!
    You are all so sweet with your comments. It's true that I don't use a lot of fancy techniques or tools to make my bento, and I almost always make sure the bento primarily focuses on the healthy and substantial main meal. I like showing people that regular people with busy lives can manage a decent, nutritious bento with a cute accent very easily. And have fun too :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha!! Oh my gosh but this is the cutest little Hello Kitty. Like a baby Hello Kitty.. mm, the curry looks delish. Is this japanese curry?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah, baby Hello Kitty :D
    It is Japanese curry, using a combination of the block and the powder, plus tonkatsu sauce and ketchup, and applesauce. Haha! It's kind of eclectic.

    ReplyDelete
  14. "Awww" is right! ~Very, very cute!

    ReplyDelete