Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Sausage Skewers Bento

Sausage Skewers Bento by sherimiya ♥
Sausage Skewers Bento, a photo by sherimiya ♥ on Flickr.
I sometimes hear from parents who tell me they don't know how to cook, or they don't have time to cook, so there's no way they could make such an elaborate lunch for their kids. Guess what? I'm not a professional chef either. I have two kids at home and I don't have time to spend a lot of time cooking or preparing bento either. If you take a look at my bento posts, you'll see that many of them involve leftovers, or foods that can be prepared and assembled quickly (usually under 30 minutes). You don't have to spend a lot of time to give your kids a healthy homemade lunch; all you need is a little pre-planning. Most kids won't eat an adult-size meal, so a few vegetables, some fruit, a little protein and maybe some rice (or bread or pasta) is all you need to consider.

Take this bento, for example. I made this for my 4 year old to take to preschool. She's had a slightly smaller appetite lately than usual, so this one is a bit smaller than what she typically eats for lunch. The main compartment contains two skewers of pan-fried chicken and sundried tomato sausage rounds alternating with sliced zucchini. She'll love those because they're finger foods, and it's fun to eat off a stick. I always add at least two colors of vegetables -- in this case, steamed broccoli and peapods, as well as raw carrots I've carved into flowers with my paring knife. To finish off, she'll have a sweet ripe strawberry and some blackberries. If she had more time at school (or if she were at home) I might add a half corn on the cob and a musubi (riceball), or she might ask for string cheese or a hard-boiled egg, which are foods that are easily prepared ahead of time. Once you start packing bento, it'll become easier until it's just a part of the usual school routine. You'll feel better knowing your kid is eating a healthy meal, and she'll learn to look forward to lunch. Now that's a worthwhile effort! ^_^

14 comments:

  1. The pan-fried chicken and sundried tomato sausages looks so delicious even me will also love it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks ღᏓуռ էяɨռɨאღ -- they are really tasty. I thought they might be too spicy for my little one but she loves it. There aren't any nitrites either; it's cured in vinegar and all natural. Bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent! Yes, it's easy when the routine gets boring and you've come to that point where even thinking about what to make for lunches & dinners makes you stare off into space with nothing coming in your head. I am there. lol! This is why I love seeing your bentos. They're bright, beautiful and even though you've prepared it so quick and easy, it sure doesn't look that way. Your kids are so lucky to have you! I love the skewered sausages here, will def try this method instead of just plain cutting it up for my kiddo. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Preach on sister Sheri! Lol! It would take just as long to go through a drive through as to make a nice healthy bento. This one looks delicious. I'm amazed at how bright and shiny your fruit is, it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I totally agreed with ChantaleP! Especially when you've to cook almost everyday and to consider who like this, who don't and it's not just 2-3 people but 5-6 people!
    Did you buy the sausages over the counters or the racks? I didn't see these in the supermarket's ham&sausages counters before...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe those 2 skewers are quite pack for TS. Love her petite healthy bento! (^.^)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are just more and more adorable all the time. I wonder if you make cute little bentos like this for your husband/partner too? (-: PS: I awarded you The Versatile Blogger award.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't have a culinary degree either, but I still manage to prepare meals and make bentos with leftovers. A lot of it has to do with organization and planning. (Maybe a little artistic ability, a simple smiley face would be sufficient.)

    I'm not a mom, and no where near becoming one, but I make meals for my family. I try to introduce them to healthy new foods. (My dad thinks a potato is a veggie, and that baked beans are just as good as green beans. X.X ) They sometimes get mad at me, but it's soo worth it to get them away from rubbish.

    My mom works in a hospital with administration, and I've seen what she could eat in the cafeteria(if it's open, if not there's only vending machines, or fast food if it's not too late.) and I would rather spend time making a bento than her eating that rubbish, it's expensive too.

    All your photos look amazing; even if it's a simple bento. They all look really good; eye candy but healthy. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Chantale! We all feel that way sometimes, even me. That's the bonus of blogging: it's a way for us to find inspiration in others' ideas and experiences.

    Thanks Heather! I should use that as a selling point for bento, heh. I bet there are more than a few parents who would be surprised by that :)

    ღᏓуռ էяɨռɨאღ -- True, it is a challenge for so many people, especially with different tastes. It's fine to have preferences, but I try to discourage outright refusal. It's sometimes tough! If I offer enough variety I try to get everyone to try one piece of everything at least. I found these sausages on the rack. I've seen them at Trader Joe's and Safeway. Hope you can find similar; they're very tasty. Thanks!

    Thanks Lia! She did finish it all, and was quite pleased with it too. Score!

    Ado, I haven't made a cute one for my husband, and he has used my bento boxes on occasion to pack a lunch, but he prefers to eat out with his buddies. Sigh. Thanks very much for the Versatile Blogger award! I'm honored and flattered that you thought of me. So glad we found each other in the internets :)

    Cat, thank you so much for your inspiring comment. I love to hear from people like you, to learn about your experiences. I usually think of bento as for children, but it's actually even more honorable and impressive to pack them for your parents. It shows your desire to try to change the outlook of the folks who raised you, which may be even more difficult than with children! I applaud you! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice post sheri, and great advice. I also find that making bento stash and keeping it in the freezer makes it super easy to assemble bento lunches. Pork patties, steamed slices of sweet potato, crepes, all freeze well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Chantale; we all feel that way sometimes, which is why I love the interactive bento blogging community so rich in ideas for inspiration! I get lots this way myself :)

    Heather; good point! I'm sure many parents would be surprised to learn that. Thanks :)

    ღᏓуռ էяɨռɨאღ : I found the sausages on the rack at Trader Joe's, but I've seen similar nitrite-free sausages at chain groceries like Safeway too. Hope you can find them. I love them!

    Thanks Lia; she did finish them off like a champ!

    Thanks Michelle. Stash is a great idea. I wish I were more organized as to be able to carry it off like so many others here!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tks Sheri! I'll try to keep a look-out for them! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck ღᏓуռ էяɨռɨאღ :D

    ReplyDelete