Thursday, May 19, 2011

Deconstructed Taco Bento

Deconstructed Taco Bento by sherimiya ♥
Deconstructed Taco Bento, a photo by sherimiya ♥ on Flickr.
The last bento of the week is a fun one for my second-grader: deconstructed tacos -- which means he can put them together as he chooses at lunchtime. Since he's usually a classic deconstructive eater (pulling toppings off pizza, opening sandwiches to eat layers separately, etc.), I have a gut feeling he'll eat each ingredient individually. Sigh. Whatever! I guess that's his prerogative. Along with wrapped tortillas (with a dinosaur cheese design), he can choose from: turkey taco meat, lettuce, and pico de gallo. There's also a cup of yogurt with wheat germ (this condiment cup comes with a sealing lid), a strawberry, some blackberries, cherries and chopped oranges. This large two-tier stainless steel tiffin-style bento container comes in handy for meals like this one. The layers and lid close tightly with a double latch. It's sturdy and tough. Just like my boy ^_^

11 comments:

  1. Tacos are the best! My hubby is a decontsructer too, he takes everything apart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. tacos sounds so good (and fun!) as a bento!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Michelle and Kat :o)
    Why do some folks do that? Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So fun, love the dino taco and bright yummy fillings, thanks for the big bento smile this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. fun! I had also deconstrution in my bento today, but it was a deconstructed salad :
    www.bentopopolsku.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is such a great idea using those silicon cups like that. Never thought of doing that.. Also love the condiment cup. This is my kind of meal.. I love putting things together and CHOMP! Cute dino.. hehe..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Jenn, mnemonique and ChantaleP!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're bento lunches are so inspiring! I'm looking through the pictures of your kid's lunches with my 5 year old and she loves them too! Thanks for posting such amazing healthy lunch ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My girls always order the make your own taco at Chipotle. I love this and so would the girls! I just realized our kids are the same age, it's hard to believe I am going to be the mom of a third grader. Weep, weep.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wonder how lucky that kid feels every time he opens his Bento box at school? I bet all the kids are trying to get a peek in his lunch too. Love the deconstructed tacos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kat, that's great! I'm sure your girl will love your bentos too. Thanks!

    Denise, it's a great way to get the kids involved in the food prep, and they learn to have fun with the food. I'm not thinking about next school year. He's still a 2nd grader for 3 months...

    That's so sweet of you. He says he loves to show his friends; and his classmates are starting to show up with more bentos lately too, which is great! Thanks Ado!

    ReplyDelete