Monday, August 2, 2010

Walrus Bento


Walrus Bento, originally uploaded by sherimiya ♥.
Okay, we're done with Hello Kitty for awhile. For this bento I used the brown / red rice combo that looked like it would make a nice walrus. I mentioned in my review of Yum-Yum Bento Box that one of my favorite characters is the cute walrus onigiri on page 53. Well, mine doesn't look quite so cute, does it? When TinySprite saw it she asked "What is it? Oh, waris? Oh. Waris. Yeah!" So she didn't exactly let on that it wasn't a great example of one, but it was pretty obvious that she had no idea what kind of animal I was talking about. Oh well! Along with the walrus, which had nori eyes and freckles and radish tusks, she also got roast chicken, golden cauliflower, carrot sticks, strawberries and cherries. And in keeping with the marine theme, I used dolphin and fish picks, and my iridescent mermaid figurine that I got from gamene. Thank you megan! I love her! Can't imagine why the mermaid would remind her of me... can you? ^_^

I linked this bento at What's For Lunch! You can too!

19 comments:

  1. Waris! That's how I pronounce it too! :)

    I'm loving (read: copying) your rice combos! hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your waris! How cute is that she calls it that! I love the rice combo too, my last bento post I used a rice combo and mentioned you...thanks!

    I love the mermaid!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute walrus with the radish tusks! And the mermaid figure really stands out of the bento. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! Thanks Debra :D I love your mixed rice inari -- I have yet to try that!

    Thanks Lyndsey! That's great! I'll check it out right now...

    Thanks a lot KidsDreamWork...yeah, I won't be surprised if she actually glows in the dark...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice texture and color for your cute waris. The radish tusks are so perfect. Mermaid=Sheri, oh yes ... I can imagine that hehehe :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Lia! Yes, I supposed you would have no problem recognizing me as you know I'm usually either here or in the swim... hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hehehe, love to read the story of this walrus bento :D. Yup, agree with many of the commentators, the radish tusks are cool :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. hehehee! Mermaid, you?? Hm.. can't figure it out. ;p
    That is one freakin'tastic walrus! You always make carrots look so beautiful. lol! I am singing the Beatles song now.. I am the walrus..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chortling over the "Oh. Waris" comment from TS!! Perfect bento setting for the pretty mermaid, love the multigrain, cutely tusked Waris!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your 'waris' looks nice! The whole bento looks nice and filling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The walrus looks amazing and so delish!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That Mermaid pick is a cocktail decoration. :) She looks great in this bento, very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Walrus is cute! I love that it has freckles! Yes, I can imagin the mermaid looks like you. It probably had alot to do with your beautiful long hair which mermaids have. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you tatabonita!

    Thanks Chantale; yours had me singing the high-pitched chipmunks song. Who got the bum deal here??

    Thanks a lot Bentobird!

    Kuusou, thank you!

    Mommyof2girlz, many thanks!

    Sonoma Bento, you're right. And thank you!

    So sweet Mrs. P! But I'll confess, the mermaid avatar appeals to me due to my love of swimming.... (although it's true I do have quite long hair as well!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. So cute!!! Love the walrus!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! Your bento are incredible. I'd laminate them and display them, but I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable eating works of art.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Charlotte, that's so sweet! I'm just so happy we got to scarf down the rest of the pork, chicken and kalbi these past couple days! You are an awesome cook--Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love Mr. Walrus. I've been humming "I Am the Walrus" all afternoon. :o)

    Thanks for adding him to the link up! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  19. You're up late, Shannon! Wish I could hear your singing!
    Thanks for providing the linkage, and for passing on the numbering code. I'll try tweaking it.

    ReplyDelete