Monday, August 30, 2010

Bunny Fried Rice Bento


Bunny Fried Rice Bento, originally uploaded by sherimiya ♥.
Today's bento is another quick one with a minimum of cooking: fried rice. For this batch I used mixed brown rice and pan-fried along with Chinese sausage (lup cheong), shiitake, chopped broccoli, shredded carrots and onion. Drizzle with shoyu for flavor and crack an egg right on top. I let the egg cook for a bit and form eggy rice clumps before tossing to complete cooking. Finish with sesame oil, and you can also sprinkle sesame seeds. I added chopped green onion on top, as well as another hand-molded quail egg -- this time decorated as a bunny with radish ears and a summer hat. I just realized that the last time I made fried rice, I also added an egg bunny. How coincidental. Anyway, I scooped the fried rice into a thermal container which has a top tier that sits right under the screw-top lid. I put grapes, cherries, plum, a strawberry and some carrot stars in there. All done! Told you it was quick :)

13 comments:

  1. You are the BEST at quickie, beautiful and nutritious bentos! I LOVE that container. I saw a similar one a few days ago but not as cute. So I didn't buy it lol. Love that little hat on the bunny.. cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy fried rice with a small cute bunny just perfect! Thermal container keeps it warm, nice to use that :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Chantale and Lia, you gals are the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness that's an adorable lunch bucket!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it looks as a happy bunny to me...
    nice thermal container too

    ReplyDelete
  6. =) wish my girls would eat green onion.. EH! I loved the bunny! If you would be my mommy I could ask lots of bunnies for my bento (ahahah , quail egg -frenzy )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this simple bento! I saw your pic of the rice before you cooked it: Zen Fried Egg with Pepper. So gorgeous! I'll have to try the method of cracking the egg into the rice and cooking. Sounds great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Yenny, karaimame and Sonoma Bento!

    Sorry Michelle; I should have been more clear in my pic: I only named the swirled uncooked rice according to the way the grains looked to me (like reading tea leaves) and not because I literally added an egg into the rice cooker. But now you have me thinking about it...

    ReplyDelete
  9. The fried rice looks delish and the bunny is adorable!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Susan! Thanks a lot for stopping by with nice words!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love catching up on your bentos, they give me so many ideas for yummy and quick meals. fried rice is one of my faves and yours is always slightly different but still delicious. the bunny and carrot stars are such cute finishing touches!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fried rice is SO awesome. Especially when you have no ideas at all. And like you say, it's always different! Thanks megan :)

    ReplyDelete